DEFINE YOUR MAIN GOALS
Audience – The person who you want reading your content.
Product – The type of information you will provide in your blog.
Outcome – What an audience can do once the content is consumed.
DOCUMENT YOUR STRATEGY
There is one major difference between a successful content marketing strategist who is diligent and focus and a content marketing strategist who teeter-totters on the edge of failure, never really able to get ahead of the content that they are seeking to create and inflate:
A Documented Content Marketing Strategy
The natural question for a brand new marketing toddler who is consuming all of this information for the first time might be:
“Great, but what in the heck is a content marketing strategy, what does it consist of, and what would I even do to begin to create one of them?”Any New Digital Marketing Newbie
Content Marketing Institute has the ANSWER for you in the form of 36 QUESTIONS. Ha. Below is an amazing ebook that I used when I was first learning to create strategy for my content marketing clients and it always got my brain really thinking and my feet walking in the right direction.
(this is the difference between a successful/failed content plan)
Every CONTENT FORMAT Available to Marketers
Thank you, CoSchedule for this amazing and brilliantly thorough list.
BUILD a CHANNEL PLAN for SOCIAL MEDIA DISTRIBUTION
A Social Media Channel is simply any social media platform where you can or your business can create a profile and market themselves within that social community.
Search Engine Journal did a nice in-depth look at the seven biggest social media channels of 2020 in the article:
Here were Search Engine Journal’s Top Seven of 2020:
You will want to pick only the channels that will specifically assist you in promoting the business (ex. Clinc AI or mDesign) or client (Alexei Orlov or Ashley Black) or the subject (Artificial Intelligence or mDesign home decor brands) that you are promoting. Ask yourself the following questions to help you determine the best social platforms for your project:
- What is the goal of this channel?
- What is the desired action?
- What is the specific type of content the audience wants to get in this channel?
- What is the right tone for this channel?
- What is the ideal velocity?
You guessed it. SEO stands for search engine optimization which is the process by which you work to create more visibility in google search for a webpage or website. Using a myriad of tactics, both on-page, and off-page tactics, you can help to move up in google search rankings any particular webpage for keywords that are branded and/or relevant to the business or topic the webpage is promoting.
HIRE A MANAGING EDITOR / CONTENT MARKETING LEAD
Here is the general overview of skills you will want to look for in your candidates:
- Content ideation and prioritization
- Content taxonomy
- Ability to find and manage writers
- Content workflow and scheduling
- Basic understanding of SEO and social optimization
- Content repurposing
- Ability to measure and communicate content effectiveness
Create a KPI COMMUNICATION PLAN (chart your goals)
- Audit all of the content by the platform.
- Decide which other information you want to collect, such as audience, format, topics, place in the buying cycle, etc.
- Figure out which KPIs relate to each piece of content. For instance, do you need to track number of email subscribers per piece of content?
- Calculate a baseline for each metric so you can understand what is performing above or below average.
- Update your tracking document on a regular basis.
TIP: Remember that what you track and how you collect the data can evolve. But, it’s critical to get a system in place and get into the practice of measuring everything you are doing.